Nine year-old wounded in attack in Psagot: BBC silent

At around 21:00 on the evening of Saturday, October 5th, a nine year-old girl named Noam Glick was attacked by a masked man outside her home in Psagot in the Binyamin area. 

Psagot

She was evacuated to hospital in Jerusalem where she underwent surgery during the night. The village of Psagot was placed under lock-down, with residents confined to their homes for several hours whilst soldiers searched the area to ensure that the terrorist was not still at large and a breach in the fence surrounding the community was later found.

Over twelve hours later, there was still no mention of the incident on the BBC News website’s Middle East page, which was updated on October 6th at 07: 57 GMT, at 09:52 GMT, at 10:10 GMT and again at 13:05. 

6 10 HP am

6 10 HP 952

6 10 HP 10 10

6 10 HP 13 05

The day after the incident, October 6th, a message praising the attacker was posted on an official Fatah Facebook account. Despite the fact that the head of Fatah is also the president of the Palestinian Authority and chairman of the same PLO which is currently conducting negotiations with Israel, the BBC apparently does not find this story newsworthy. 

Update:

The details of the Fatah Facebook posting are now available in English – see here.

 

11 comments on “Nine year-old wounded in attack in Psagot: BBC silent

  1. This tragic event exemplifying the BBC’s propaganda by omission to report, takes place at the same time as a non-Isra-hate event of interest to BBC Watchers reported in tomorrow’s London Times.

    This is to be a speech given by Lord Tony Hall, the BBC’s new Director-General outlining his plans for the future of the BBC in advance of its application in 2017 for a renewal of its Royal Charter.

    “The headline reads, “Bullying at BBC added to Hall’s list of problems.” The main body of the article is behind a paywall at The Times, but the beginning appears below.

    The remainder of the article lists a number of recorded events of beebullying, including a black BBC radio DJ being told his voice was not “black enough” for his black listenership, a lady being offered promotion in return for sexual favours, together with 138 other unresolved bullying at work cases. These unresolved cases were reported in The Daily Telegraph article below in August.

    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/medianews/article3888443.ece

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10256554/BBC-faces-140-bullying-claims.html

  2. Pingback: Chronicle of a child’s shooting untold | Anne's Opinions

  3. Tis is the full article in The Times:

    The BBC was facing questions about a culture of bullying yesterday, as the Director-General prepared to set out his vision of the corporation’s future.

    Lord Hall of Birkenhead will tomorrow give his first major address since taking over six months ago. He is expected to promise a slimmed-down, less bureaucratic BBC that is “match-fit for the future”.

    However, questions about the corporation’s past continue to hinder him after details emerged of bullying and harassment by managers.

    John Whittingdale, chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, said that he would raise the allegations with Lord Hall and Lord Patten of Barnes, the BBC Trust Chairman, when they appear before his committee this month.

    “We will want to be satisfied that sufficient safeguards have been put in place and these appalling incidents can’t happen again,” he said.

    In May a report by Dinah Rose, QC, found evidence of inappropriate behaviour and bullying by managers at the BBC. A dossier submitted by the National Union of Journalists to the inquiry, which had not previously been published, was obtained by the Mail on Sunday. The NUJ document included evidence of “shocking” treatment of staff because of their sexual orientation, race or age, the union said. One female journalist was promised promotion in return for having sex with her boss, it alleged.

    On another occasion, a black radio presenter was told by his manager that his voice “was not black enough” to broadcast on a programme aimed at black youths, the newspaper reported.

    Lord Hall has promised a “zero tolerance” approach to bullying and the introduction of safeguards to protect staff who make complaints.

    A BBC spokesman said: “The BBC initiated the [Rose review] to help tackle any form of bullying and to ensure that staff have the confidence to report concerns. The BBC has made huge im- provements in tackling bullying, including bespoke training and cases now being heard outside of the relevant division. Recent information showed that there were approximately 30 cases of alleged bullying being investigated in an organisation of almost 17,000 staff.”

    Bullying was one of several problems Lord Hall inherited in April. His predecessor, George Entwistle, had resigned only weeks into his tenure over the Savile scandal. The BBC then came under fire for paying out £25 million to 150 departing executives. It was again forced to apologise for wasting licence-payers’ money in May when it scrapped a £100 million digital production system.

    Maria Miller, the Culture Secretary, described the succession of scandals as an “annus horribilis”, and promised tougher government scrutiny.

  4. Pingback: Patchy BBC reporting on security incidents compromises context and accuracy | BBC Watch

  5. Pingback: Arrests in Al Bireh prompt BBC mention of Psagot attack | BBC Watch

  6. Pingback: BBC template response to audience complaints about Psagot | BBC Watch

Comments are closed.